Top Rank Matchmaker Bruce Trampler Gets into Hall of Fame08/13/2010
Canastota, NY -- Top Rank matchmaker Bruce Trampler, who helped construct and build the careers of superstars and world champions, will be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame this weekend.
He is the fourth from Top Rank who is in the Hall of Fame. Bob Arum, who founded Top Rank, was inducted in 1999. Top Rank's all-time publicist, Irving Rudd (1999) and legendary matchmaker Teddy Brenner (1993) are also in the Hall of Fame.
Trampler worked with young fighters like Michael Carbajal who years ago came to the Top Rank office in Las Vegas looking to box professionally following his amateur career. Carbajal signed with Top Rank and, as Trampler scheduled opponents, became a world champion and a huge box office attraction. Trampler helped shape the careers of star attractions Erik 'El Terrible' Morales, the Golden Boy, Oscar de la Hoya, Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather Jr., Miguel Cotto and Kelly Pavlik among many others.
"There is no one in our industry like Bruce Trampler," said Arum who will be with Trampler while he will be inducted on Sunday, 2 pm.
Trampler said "everyone at Top Rank contributed to the careers of Oscar De La Hoya, the comeback of George Foreman, the rises of Miguel Cotto, Erik Morales, Johnny Tapia, James Toney, Floyd Mayweather and Kelly Pavlik. I just did a little part in all of this.
"The participation in the careers and being around champions like Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini, Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Iran Barkley and Roberto Duran was an incredible experience," Trampler said.
"However, I also enjoyed working with fighters like Doug DeWitt, Terrance Alli, Kenny Bogner. We had quite a run with young stars in the 1980s in
Atlantic City. Those were great days," he added. "My role was actually small. It was Bob Arum who put all of the big fights together for Top Rank."
Here is Trampler's bio in the Hall of Fame program:
Bruce Trampler Boxing Hall of Fame
Born August 11, 1949 in Maplewood, NJ. Foregoing a career in journalism after graduating from Ohio University in 1971, Trampler dedicated his life to boxing. In 1968 he interviewed Bill "Dynamite" Douglas for the college paper and learned the fighter needed representation and became his manager. Eager to learn all aspects of the sport, he boxed as an amateur and worked as a trainer, promoter, ring announcer, publicist and matchmaker.
Beginning in 1971, he spent 15 months immersed in the finer points of the sweet science under the guidance of the Dundee brothers, promoter Chris and trainer Angelo in Miami Beach. He was later mentored by legendary matchmaker Teddy Brenner, who hired him as assistant matchmaker at Madison Square Garden in 1977. He left the Garden in 1979 and joined Bob Arum's Top Rank in 1981 and has been matchmaker since.
Equipped with a keen eye for talent and the understanding of how to build a fighter, he orchestrated the careers of such standouts as Michael Carbajal, Floyd Mayweather, Jr., Johnny Tapia, Erik Morales, Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Kelly Pavlik and many more. He was also instrumental in the comeback of heavyweight champion George Foreman.
- ›› Crawford vs. Jean - Junior Welterweight World Championship (4)
- ›› Bradley vs. Rios - Welterweight World Championship (2)
- ›› Victory at the Venetian (2)
- ›› Championship Doubleheader Featuring Walters & Verdejo (8)
- ›› Bradley vs. Vargas - Welterweight Clash (8)
- ›› "MetroPCS Friday Night Knockout" on truTV (16)
- ›› Solo Boxeo (179)
- ›› Español (162)
- ›› Fan Zone (173)
- ›› No Category (616)
- ›› Promotions (79)
- ›› Bob Arum (3)
- ›› Felix Verdejo (17)
- ›› Freddie Roach (1)
- ›› Gilberto Ramirez (1)
- ›› Jessie Vargas (4)
- ›› Jose Ramirez (6)
- ›› Juan Manuel Lopez (3)
- ›› Manny Pacquiao (2)
- ›› Mikey Garcia (2)
- ›› Mike Jones (1)
- ›› Nonito Donaire (3)
- ›› Oscar Valdez (9)
- ›› Zou Shiming (11)
- ›› Mayweather vs. Pacquiao - Welterweight Championship (10)
- ›› Crawford vs. Dulorme - Jr Welterweight World Title (4)
- ›› Zou vs. Ruenroeng - World Flyweight Championship (2)
- ›› Alvarado vs. Rios 3 - Welterweight Championship (6)
- ›› Bradley vs. Chaves - Welterweights (2)
- ›› Crawford vs. Beltran (4)
- ›› Pacquiao vs. Algieri (22)
- ›› Featuring Gilberto Ramirez & Oscar Valdez (2)
- ›› Rios vs. Chaves (6)
- ›› Crawford vs. Gamboa (3)
- ›› Tapia vs. Collins (2)
- ›› Cotto vs. Martinez (15)
- ›› Vetyeka vs. Donaire (3)
- ›› Marquez vs. Alvarado (4)
- ›› Pacquiao vs Bradley (34)
- ›› Fists of Gold - Shiming vs Valenzuela (2)
- ›› Chavez vs. Vera (17)
- ›› Champions of Gold (5)
- ›› Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko (4)
- ›› Pacquiao vs. Rios (17)
- ›› Martinez vs. Garcia (5)
- ›› Alvarado vs. Provodnikov (5)
- ›› Bradley vs. Marquez (17)
- ›› Cotto vs. Rodriguez (9)
- ›› Ring of Gold (1)
- ›› Garcia vs. Lopez (10)
- ›› Donaire vs. Rigondeaux (6)
- ›› Fists of Gold II -- Shiming vs. Ortega (5)
- ›› Rios vs. Alvarado II (7)
- ›› Garcia vs. Burgos (8)
- ›› Bradley vs Provodnikov (12)
- ›› Pacquiao vs Marquez (39)
- ›› Donaire vs. Arce (10)
- ›› Salido vs Garcia (6)
- ›› Chavez Jr. vs. Martinez (25)
- ›› Martirosyan vs Lara / Garcia vs Barros (3)
- ›› Donaire vs. Nishioka / Rios vs Alvarado (10)
- ›› Vázquez Jr vs Oquendo - (5)
- ›› Chavez Jr vs Lee (3)
- ›› Soto Karass vs El Harrak (1)
- ›› Donaire & Pavlik Double Header (4)
- ›› Marquez and Rios Doubleheader (2)
- ›› Pavlik vs Sigmon (2)
- ›› Cotto vs Margarito (1)
- ›› Rios vs Murray (1)